Monday, December 4, 2017

Thorn Moons Crusade: Building a T-26

"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"

Earlier this year I started to explore the possibility of using scale tank models in Warhammer 40k. I discovered that both 1/35 and 1/48 scale models work alongside 40k ones, with 1/48 being best if the tank is a medium or heavy one (such as a Russian T-34 or German Tiger respectively), or 1/35 if it is a light tank (such as a USA M5 Stuart). With this in mind, coupled with Adam’s work at creating some Imperial Guard for the Thorn Moon Crusade, I thought that it would be fun to build a tank for them. I have always loved the T-26, a Russian light tank, that despite being largely obsolete at the outset of World War II, still saw widespread use (including use in the Spanish Civil War and the Winter War). Therefore, I decided to get a 1/35 scale T-26 and try to convert it into something for the beleaguered defenders of the Thorn Moons.



I replaced the plastic machine guns that came with the model with an autocannon and a light machine gun from an Infinity model.

After a little research, I discovered that the company Hobby Boss has a whole line of T-26 tanks, with all manner of different turrets and other modifications. I ended up selecting a 1931 model, due primarily because I thought its two turret design looked quite interesting. Overall, the build was pretty straightforward, however, it was significantly more challenging and time-consuming than a typical Games Workshop vehicle. This was primarily due to the kit containing substantially more pieces than a GW one (around 1000), including both plastic and photo-etched pieces. The most difficult and certainly most time-intensive part was assembling the tracks, containing over 600 pieces. Each track link was held to the next with two tiny bolts, each the size of a pinhead. While mind-numbing and requiring more dexterity than I am accustomed to for model kits, it resulted in tracks that were fully articulated at each joint. I think they look better than other track designs such as rubberband types, but I am not sure it was quite worth the time invested to assemble when a simpler solution was available.
 
Each track has 107 links, with 2 tiny bolts holding each to the next; the assembly process was a nightmare.

The tank came with quite a few photo-etched pieces which needed to be bent into shape before gluing down.

I ended up deciding not to convert the tank a lot, not wanting to lose the T-26 look. I resolved to focus on modifying the weapons mounted to the twin turrets. I decided to mimic one variant of the T-26 that had a small cannon on the one and a light machine gun on the other. For the cannon I used one of the barrels from a Cataphractii autocannon, while for the machine gun I used a light machine gun from Infinity. In addition to the turrets, I made a few other modifications, such as adding a few Imperial eagles and replaced the horn with a small vox grill from a Skitarii Ranger.


A T-34 (1/35) vs. Space Marine Rhino MkIIc vs. T-26 (1/35).


View from the top, Space Marine Rhino MkIIc vs. T-26 (1/35) vs. T-34 (1/35).

Building the T-26 was a time-consuming but enjoyable process. I think the 1/35 scale works well alongside Warhammer 40,000, and even when not converted extensively; the ramshackle look of the tank fits with the 40k aesthetic. Although the prospect assembling more T-26 tracks does not excite me, I am tempted to build another variant for our Thorn Moon Guard, likely one with a single turret mounted gun. Regardless, I am looking forward to start painting the tank when we determine a scheme for it, likely doing a lot of weathering on it. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

- Eric Wier

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the idea of proper scale kits of older (and even modern) tanks. What people do with them (the real rivet counters out there) are amazing.

    The small additions you made to the stock kit, while subtle, are enough to put it in mid of the 40k-verse, some backwater PDF relic hand me down perhaps.

    A drab, worn scheme would go well with maybe some rashly applied over paint in the campaign colours of the Thorn Moon Guard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad you like it, and think it fits. I think you are right that it looks like an old and forgotten PDF vehicle. I really like scale models, the level of detail on many of them is really impressive. I look forward to trying to work with some others in the future.

      I agree about the paint scheme too, drab and worn.

      Delete
  2. That looks very appropriate to a 40k planetary defence force type of guard army, stuck with backward equipment (even by 40K standards). Great work and I look forward to seeing it painted. I can't believe you put together the individual track links though! That is too much for a wargaming model - I would have tried to find some rubber band tracks for sure...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the tracks too so very long to assemble. Maybe if I do try to make another I will look for some other tracks.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! The treads despite being so awful to assemble really add to the realism I think, totally worth the struggle! I agree with the Muppet a drab grey or green heavily weathered would look excellent and lend itself well to the look of the tank. Eventually I’ll pick up that MKI and join you in some insanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are lots of cool tanks that could be used; I would love to see your efforts on a MKI!

      Delete
  4. Well that certainly looks good, and I salute you for putting together the track links. I think you need something a bit more over the top though, like a large banner to tie it closer to 40k, and a few of the IG tank bitz may help too (possibly from the Sentinel instead, as it fits the scale better)

    I have been eyeing WWII French tanks for the Guard... they have almost the exact same look. However, I have successfully resisted by remembering that I have a bunch of unpainted tanks already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into adding a few more 40k elements. I admit I really like low-key models, he he.

      I considered getting some French tanks too... So many models!

      Delete
  5. This is an amazing idea! Great work above all the nightmare kit!1000 pieces are a huge quantity. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am not sure why I didn't try it earlier, considering how I am not thrilled with GW's over the top looking tanks. Now that the tracks are done, I am happy I spent the time, he he.

      Delete