Sunday, September 24, 2017

Space Marines: Raptors

A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

After being suitably impressed with the First Strike starter boxed set for Warhammer 40,000, I decided that some of the models in the set might be a good place to experiment with painting. Aside from painting the majority of Dreadwhisper for the Curse of the Alabaster games last winter, I have not painted another model in my entire long history of being involved in the hobby, letting that all fall on Adam’s shoulders. Having no particular use for the push-fit Primaris Space Marines that I assembled from First Strike, they seemed like the ideal place to start to learn the particulars of painting. I also had an extra cast of our True-scale Space Marine, and figured his large size would also be a good way to ease into the process. After some consideration, I selected the Raptors Space Marine Chapter to paint my first models as. I always loved the drab military look of their chapter, reminding me of Sherman tanks from WWII. Conveniently, I also had most of the colors that I thought I would need from a Vallejo Model Air paint set for German/Allied WWII models.



I used white to make the eyes of the Raptor stand out, and fit with his shoulderpad markings.

I used Vallejo pigments to add some texture and rust effects to the bases of the Raptors.

Painting both the Primaris and the true-scale Space Marine both started with the airbrush, laying down a primer coat and then a layer of black. This was followed by a thorough coat of Vallejo’s Model Air Dark Green RLM71 (71.015), before airbrushing on a more sparing coat of Russian Green 4BO (71.017) on the more open, exposed areas. Finally, I airbrushed an even more controlled layer of 1:1 Russian Green and Tank Ochre 1943 (71.081). This created a nice, depth-filled green for the Space Marines. Athonian Camoshade was used sparingly in shaded areas, and Tank Ochre was used for highlights on the armours’ edges. To add some extra interest to the armor, I painted chipping by carefully spotting on Vallejo Model Air Armour Brown (71.041) in areas I predicted would suffer the most wear. I added a touch of Tank Ochre to the lower edge of most of the brown chips so that they look more three dimensional. Other than green, the other primary color on the Raptors is silver. It was done with two Vallejo Game Air colors, Gunmetal  (72.754) for the base and Chainmail Silver (72.753) for the highlights, after a coat of Nuln Oil.


The Primaris armour has very defined curves, which makes airbrushing easy, allowing the darker hues to stay in the recesses upon successive highlights.

Although not perfect, I think the smaller conventional bolter looks better on the Primaris Space Marine.

Having finished these first two Space Marines, I am pretty pleased how they turned out. It was a good learning experience, allowing me to come to terms with an airbrush, but also try my hands at edge highlighting and freehand work on the shoulderpads. Next, I plan to finish the other Primaris marines from the First Strike boxed set, and then move on to the other models that come in the box. It is exciting to be finally painting after all of these years involved in the hobby, and something that I hope to continue for many years to come!

- Eric Wier

8 comments:

  1. It's great to hear you are getting more comfortable with painting. The fear of messing a miniature up had long kept me from finishing models once they got to the painting stage. Both look excellent though and really exude the very militaristic and no nonsense look of the Raptors. Really well done man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It certainly can be hard to get over the feeling you might ruin a model when attempting to paint them. But after painting these two models, I feel a lot more confident about it!

      Delete
  2. Very nice models and painting, I really like the weathering! The white eyes are a great idea.The true scale marine underline the -improved from classical marine but however- quite weird shapes of the primaris: at first sight it seems the true scale the real primaris and the primaris the classical marine, than the more you look, the most you see that in the GW primaris something does not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, yeah it is funny that we created the true-scale marine not knowing that the Primaris were going to be released. The TS marine ended up being a little too large, almost FW Primarch size. But with the release of the Primaris marines, now the model we created would actually serve as a true scale Primaris marine, with the official ones working as normal Space Marines.

      I am glad you like the weathering! It was extremely easy to do, just taking a fine brush and randomly spoting on a tiny amount of paint. It is worth trying if you have not!

      Delete
  3. Very nice painting, I wish I could achieve such results with such little practice! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess after watching Adam paint, or talk about it, over all these years has rubbed off a little :D

      Delete
  4. Impressive work! I really like the color palette, and the wear effect is very convincing!
    How did you get that Raptor Icon, though? Is it a decal or did you paint it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, am glad you like the look of the weathering! As for the raptor symbols, I painted them all by hand. It is a pain trying to get them to look the same. I think FW made decals years back, but don't anymore unfortunately...

      Delete