Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Kingdom Death: Multi-part kit challenge - Model complete

Born of strife...

As 2015 came to a close, we looked at the multipart Survivor models that came with the Kingdom Death boxed game.  We were not too thrilled with the models, their proportions, the level of detail, and cast quality were just not as good as many of the other single pose Kingdom Death models.  These considerations made us uncertain what we should do with the models; it just did not seem like it was worth our time and effort to try to assemble them.  We ended up deciding to make a single model out of all the sprues and then send the rest off to another hobbyist, with the hope that they will continue to pass the models around to other hobbyists to see what they could create with the parts.  The Muli-part of Death Project was born.  In the last post, we showed you the model that we came up with.  I found some time to start painting the model last month and am pleased to show you the finished model!


Going into painting the model, I knew that I needed to keep the color palette drab, dark, and earthy to emphasize the cruel setting of the game. To this end, I chose to paint all of the survivor’s armor as if it were crafted from leather, pieced together by the wearer from various sources. This also allowed me a lot of freedom to experiment with different tones of browns and also with different types of highlighting and effects. Some of my favorites are the hints of red in some of the leather and the stippling I used on places to mimic different textures. I also painted a few scars on her skin by adding a little red and pink to the highlights.

For the model's base I tried to create an interesting looking stone/marble effect. 

For the model’s skin, I wanted to experiment with some different skin tones.  Having painted mostly white skin in the past, I wanted to challenge myself to something different.  I ultimately decided to try to create a very dark black tone, so that it would contrast more with the lighter shades of the leather armor. The skin tone was achieved with a mixture of Vallejo Black and Camo Black Brown, followed by a few successive highlights adding a little grey paint to the mixture.

I painted everything in drab, earthy tones to emphasize the nightmare world of Kingdom Death. 

For the survivor’s dagger, I painted it to resemble bone, complementing the bone armor she wears on her face and shoulder (who knows, maybe she made the dagger from the same victim as her mask). With the bone color painted, I could not help but add a little blood splatter to the blade. The blood was painted using the Special Effects Set produced by Vallejo, specifically Fresh Blood (72132) and Dried Blood (72133). I was a little skeptical that just two colors would be enough for convincing ichor, but the combination worked beautifully, creating a satisfying effect quickly and easily.

Overall, I am really happy with how my first and only multipart Kingdom Death Survivor model turned out.  It allowed me to try a few new techniques and experiment with different skin tones.  I cannot wait to see what other people do with the sprues!  I am excited to announce that we sent the remaining sprues to the very talented Odie over at Heavy Static, and hear that he has largely finished creating a model from them!  I would also like to extend an invitation to anyone reading this that owns a copy of Kingdom Death: Monster, or has some of the multipart sprues from it, to try to create their own model.  If you send in some pictures, we would be happy to post them on the blog next to all the other ones, and hopefully create a group of some of the best looking Kingdom Death models on the internet!

- Adam Wier

16 comments:

  1. That turned out looking great, man! I dig it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really pleased with how she turned out too.

      Delete
  2. Excellent paint job, particularly the dark skin, which is nicely contrasted by the light bone color and the mid tone leathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was really pleased with the skin tone. :) I was a little uncertain how it would go, but it worked better than I had hoped.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am glad you like it! I am pretty happy with it, and will have to use it on more models in the future.

      Delete
  4. I saw these the other day, but again, fantastic job. The skintone actually looks fleshy, and the almost dappled effect on the lightest shade of leather looks remarkably accurate for a soft-tanned/brain-tanned leather. Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for being a part of the project! I wanted to use the model as an experiment for painting different types of leather, and think it worked out pretty well.

      Delete
  5. I really like this one. Grisled survivor no doubt! If you think similar dystopian setting in the movie world you know you'd stay clear on this one. I actually have a plan now for my miniature, just waiting on the sprues to arrive. I even think I know who to send it to after that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being willing to take part in the project, we look forward to seeing what you come up with!

      Delete
  6. I like the look at the stance. Really like the idea of a group of people putting the models together, it'll get trickier for each person. Happy to give it a shot though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, making models from the sprues being passed around will get harder and harder, although the sprues that were included in the boxed game had enough to make at least 24 models, so there is a lot of potential. If you own the game and would like to make something, feel free! Otherwise, the decision of where the sprues goes next is in the hands of whoever has them :)

      Delete
  7. That is a lovely conversion and paint job. The highlighting work on the skin, and the variation in the leather really kick it up a level.

    Having also got the Kickstarter box (which I need to review at some point) I agree about the multipart models. While I'm floored by Poots' vision and the sheer scale of the project the survivor kits are the weakest part of the game. I think I'll be taking my own slant on Ex Profundis' approach to the set and treating the included models more like game pieces, although I'm also going to have to step up to the challenge of creating my own multipart survivor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words!

      Great to hear you have the game too! The approach Bruticus took over at Ex Profundis for his Kingdom Death models was really clever and they turned out looking great. Good luck on yours. Great to hear you are going to take part in the mulitpart survivor challenge! The more the merrier!

      Delete
  8. Great job. The mottled reddish leather is great ... how did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the interest! The mottled reddish leather was not too difficult. Instead of doing traditional edge highlights, I just took all of those highlights and painted a speckled pattern on the leather. Each successive highlight I made smaller and brighter until I got the desired look. The initial speckling was pretty imprecise and then I used that to guide the final few highlights. Hopefully that helps a little. :)

      Delete